Boys & Girls Club of San Antonio / Mays Family Clubhouse
The CHEF Teaching Kitchen at the Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio (BGCSA) is staffed by Rachel Brownlee Kurita, MS, RD, LD and Arikka Villarreal, MS, HFS. Throughout the year, the kitchen offers the CHEF Bites curricula to its members from Boys & Girls Clubs across the West, South, and East areas of the city. Students ages 8 to 13 participate in all 12 modules of the hands-on, engaging programming. In addition to CHEF Bites, the kitchen also offers special seasonal classes to 5 to 8 year olds and teens during school holidays and serves as home base for the bi-weekly Mays Clubhouse Culinary Club. CHEF classes are free to BGCSA members.
The kitchen also seeks to serve families from the community outside of traditional CHEF programming. Arrangements may be made for culinary health demonstrations and classes led by Rachel. The kitchen is also open to referrals and collaborations with clinics and other organizations who would like to arrange daytime or Saturday culinary health classes for their staff or clientele.
Menu of Additional Community Services
The CHEF Teaching Kitchen can accommodate groups of families or adults of up to 15 people per class during business hours or on Saturdays. Please note that the kitchen is not open to the public after 2:30 p.m. on weekdays. Additionally, the board room and community room at the Mays Family Clubhouse may be scheduled for use by community organizations on Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by calling 210.436.0686 (pending availability). Culinary classes may be added to your visit through arrangement with Rachel at email@example.com or 210-431-7990 ext 2027. A class fee will be arranged on a case-by-case basis to reimburse BGCSA for food and staffing costs.
- Lunch-and-Learns: Participants will experience a demonstration, followed by hands-on preparation of a CHEF recipe, and enjoy a delicious lunch at the end. Additional menu items may be provided to compliment the meal.
- CHEF Healthy Cooking Techniques: In this five class series, participants learn basic nutrition and practical cooking skills in a hands-on environment. Not only will you walk away from these classes armed with easy to understand nutrition knowledge, you will also explore wholesome, delicious flavors and learn to embrace good food as your body’s best medicine.
- Cooking for Blood Sugar Control: These classes are directed toward individuals with pre-diabetes or diabetes, as well as their friends or family members. This three-part class will cover basic nutrition related to blood sugar management, while teaching participants the skills to create several delicious meals and snacks.
- Pre-natal and Post-natal Nutrition: In five classes, learn all about the nutrients you and your new baby need for growth while using seasonal ingredients. Classes feature topics such as; making homemade baby food and other first foods, lactation snacks, meals portioned for second and third trimesters, and more!
- Meal Planning and Meal Prep: Not only will meal planning help you reach your health goals, it will also help save you money! Learn how to become a meal planning pro in this two-class series that emphasizes methods to plan and prepare meals for your family. One class is devoted to practicing weekly meal prep, another to creating a meal plan.
Address: 829 Nogalitos St, San Antonio, Texas, 78204, United States